|Jul. 24th, 2007 08:38 am Dispatch from Michael Yon - 7 Rules, 1 Oath|
Colonel Steve Townsend, the American commander of the 3-2 Stryker Brigade Combat Team, presided over a meeting with Iraqi Army officers and former insurgent leaders. The insurgent leaders who seem to be sincerely working toward peace are now collectively referred to as “the Baqubah Guardians.”Leave a comment
Colonel Townsend’s staff had prepared a slideshow that started off with a draft of “7 Rules.” The final version of the 7 Rules were open to discussion and suggestions from those in attendance. The rules were followed by an Oath, also still in draft.
1) Protect your community from AQI, JAM and other terrorist militia.
2) Accept both peaceful Sunni, Shia and others.
3) Stay in your neighborhood/AO [area of operations] for your safety.
4) Take an oath of allegiance to the Constitution of Iraq.
5) Register with Iraqi Security Forces and Coalition Forces [biometrics for CF].
6) For your safety, wear a standard uniform and markings [an example was proposed].
7) Receive hiring preference for Iraqi Police and Army.
I will support and defend the Constitution of Iraq.
I will cooperate fully with the Iraqi government.
I will guard my neighborhood, community and city.
I will bear no arms outside my home without coordination of Iraqi Security
Forces or Coalition Forces
I will bear no arms against the Government of Iraq, Iraqi Security Forces
or Coalition Forces.
I will not support sectarian agendas.
After the proposal for the 7 Rules and the Oath were presented, the most interesting—fascinating, really—part of the meeting unfolded. Here's the link for the rest of the story - http://michaelyon-online.com/wp/7-rules-1-oath.htm